Two more people killed in palace of opportunity
Two people have been killed and another two injured after a vehicle ploughed into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the French capital, officials said.
The injured were taken to hospital.
The incident happened at around 11:00am local time (03:00 GMT).
It was the first such attack in France in more than three years.
The French capital has been on lockdown since last week’s attack on a church and a kosher supermarket.
It was also the first attack on the Palace of the Elysée since the attack on Paris last year.
A police source told AFP news agency that a man had been detained but was not being held in custody.
“We have also received two more victims, both of whom are in serious condition,” the source added.
“They were killed at the scene of the incident.”
A woman was also injured.
A manhunt was under way for a suspect and the incident appeared to have been targeted.
Police initially said the man had not been detained, but later said he had been shot.
AFP news agencies reported that the suspect had been arrested.
“The vehicle was driven into the crowd, hitting people and causing injuries,” said Alexandre Meneghini, a spokesman for the French Interior Ministry.
The car then drove into a nearby restaurant.
“At the moment there are still more than two people in critical condition.
There is a very serious threat to public order,” Mr Meneighini said.
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Twitter that “everything is under control”.
He also said the government would “expedite the process of removing” the suspect, who is known to police.
“This is a terror attack, the first of its kind in France,” he tweeted.
“Terrorists are targeting innocent civilians.”
The Palace of Chance is the main gathering place for Bastille celebrations, which are marked by street parades and street parties.
French President Emmanuel Macron said he was in Paris to “see how we can move forward”.
Mr Macron said on Saturday that the attack would not distract from his efforts to combat terrorism.
The attack came days after police in Nice killed a 24-year-old who had killed six people.